Thursday, July 03, 2008

My God? It should be in a movie

THE JIM OICKLE STORY - DID THE FREDERICTON POLICE FORCE ACT ABOVE THE LAW???


00031
Originally uploaded by Oldmaison
jimcitymotel


Ok...This will be a series of stories on Jim's emotional story of the way he was treated by the system.

Last evening, I read his story and for a person who has ADHD.<> All of my five brains were concentrating on the monitor.

It's a fantastic tale of a guy who saw his life going down and there's nothing he could do about it!!!

The scary part of this story is THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!!!!!

This is part one-

P.S. - I didn't write the story <>

:P

I'm just the liaison guy in this one. I'm given the story and I blogged it!!!!

Enjoy -

Monday January 2, 2006, I was served with papers from my landlord’s lawyer that due to the fact my weekly lease payment was not paid I had 3 days to vacate the premises.

jimjim1

This upset me as I had never been late on a payment for 10 years. I went and seen my lawyer and was informed of what I could legally take according to my lease.


jim3



I got together 6 young men and rented a 5 ton truck to empty the contents of the Lobster Hut and Just Because Gifts. My lease clearly showed that I was allowed to take the contents of both of these businesses as they were not part of the City Motel lease.


00050


We spent the day of January 3rd loading this truck with only the Lobster Hut items. The gift shop was being packed to remove later.

At around 7pm Shawn Fitch showed up as I was organizing the back of the truck. I had known Shawn for about 15 years and asked him what he was doing here?

He informed me he was hired by the Cummings (my landlord) to insure I took only what I could provide receipts for.

I asked Shawn to pass on this job and give it over to another security firm so it didn’t cause hard feelings but he refused. He said I needed to show receipts for everything in the truck or it had to go back inside.

I said my lease covered it where it stated “upon termination of lease all items of value belonged to the tenant”.



00006



I tried explaining if he really needed receipts I would have my supplier provide them in the morning. This didn’t satisfy him so I told him to get out of my way as I was doing what my lawyer said I was legally entitled to do. I had no intentions of breaking the law.


Shawn got on his phone and within two minutes there were 2 police cruisers along side of the truck. Four officers got out and I was approached and asked what I was doing.


motel1



I informed the officers that this was a civil matter and I was not breaking the law. Shawn argued I didn’t have receipts. I told the officers they were welcome to see my lease in regards to what was on the truck.


I went into the lobby of the motel and the police followed me in with Shawn. Malcolm and Joel were sitting in a car in the parking lot and followed us all in.


Pizza had just arrived for my crew so I had them all take a break. Joel was being very loud and aggressive towards anything I tried to explain to the police so Robb Hartland one of my employees thought it best I go into a separate area while Joel, Malcolm and Shawn had their say with the officers.


Robb had been given the job of keeping me out of any conflict and he will testify I refrained from letting anyone cause me to do anything illegal. I took some pizza and went into the empty inside dining room and sat on the floor and waited my turn to explain things.


Robb asked me to stay seated on the floor when the officers came in and to remain calm. When the officers came in they were followed by Joel, Malcolm and Shawn and I requested that these people show me the same respect I just showed and leave me alone with the officers.

Joel would have none of that and he mouthed and paced behind the officers. They did nothing to shut him up.


I explained again to the officers this was a civil case and I did not want to break any laws.

I gave them my lease and showed them the paragraph that even a 12 year old would understand in regards to the furnishings and equipment of the Lobster Hut. My crew were all present to assure them all we had loaded on the truck was Lobster Hut items.


The Lobster Hut had been operating over 20 years and everyone knows all these items belonged to me.


Every sentence I said, Joel interrupted and at one point he charged by the 3 officers who never made any attempt to stop him. He was stopped in his tracks by Robb.

It was obvious I was being provoked to react by everyone present and still the police did nothing.

The police officers asked what my intentions were for the rest of the night. I told them we had planned to load some of the gift shop items on.

They asked if I could wait until the next day so receipts could be provided by my manager.

As it was late anyway, I agreed. For some reason Joel and Malcolm wanted the loaded truck off the property.

The police were asked where they suggested we take it that it would be safer than right where it was.

This was discussed with Tony McFadgen and my father Norman Oikle was present. It was decided that the safest place was in the Zellers parking lot across from the Tim Hortons on Prospect Street.



00044



With this area being constantly patrolled by the City Police and 24 hour traffic at Tim Hortons that the truck contents would be safe until we could deliver it to Cameron’s Auction Centre in the morning.



auctionaucton1



Tony and my father drove it over and were instructed to pick it up at 8am and take it to the Auction Centre.

They did as instructed however when they arrived at the Auction Centre and opened the truck with Mark Sloat (the owner of Cameron’s Auction Centre) the truck was found to be empty.


00049


Tony called me immediately and I contacted the City Police to report the theft of over $25,000 worth of equipment.

An officer came to my office and I explained what occurred the previous night. I was upset that I hadn’t been allowed to leave the truck in my own yard where it would be safe.

He was told that fellow officers knew I was concerned and they felt it would be safe on busy Prospect Street especially since police cars go across this street virtually numerous times per hour.


p



The only ones who knew this truck contained the equipment from my restaurant were Joel, Malcolm and Shawn Fitch and the 4 police officers who were present. To take all this inventory would require another like size vehicle and a couple of hours work.

I informed them that Joel and Mac had a trailer at their shop in Maugerville that would handle it and sheds to store it in.

Later in the day, I was informed by the officer that they found no one who knew anything and unless the inventory showed up they would have no one to lay charges against. My father and Tony were not ever interviewed.

At a later date, Jim was told by his father reminded him that all the items where once again in the restaurant.


0003900038



Jim informed the Police of this new situation but nothing was done.

Stay tuned for more on this story.

5 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, March 03, 2008 , Blogger GG said...

This is so unfair to Oickle, he was not only wronged by the landlord of the property but also by the city police.
But is this the first time that the City police have acted on their own accord to what seems to best suit them. For them to tell him the safest place is in the Zellers parking lot across from Tim HOrton's what did they forget to check the truck on their donut stop? For someone to unload the truck when it's supposed to been watched says something for Fredericton's finest boys in blue!!!!

At 12:58 PM, March 03, 2008 , Blogger Charles LeBlanc said...

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Wait till you read the rest of his story?

My God? It should be in a movie.

Especially the part of the Doctor and the Police at the hospital?

Very scary stuff!!!

I can't wait to blog the next part but it's not my call.

Stay tuned....

No comments: