noun = an animal or plant living on or in another; a person living off someone else but
giving ,nothing in return?
LEECH = A SMALL BLOOD SUCKING WORM?????
Look at Canlii.org and leave a Comment on what you think ?
A seasoned lawyer who is a recognized authority in expropriation law, Doug Caldwell has over 30 years of providing first-class legal counsel behind him. His main areas of practice are commercial litigation and administrative law. He also plays a key role in the firm's Tax Planning/Commercial Litigation team, and on insurance audits and assignments and in our Construction Law Group. He has authored an extensive list of articles, contributed to legal textbooks and was recently selected to be published in Lexpert, Canada's legal directory as one of Canada's top lawyers. Before Doug's legal career, he had a distinguished career as an Officer for the Royal 22nd Regiment (the "Van Doos") in the Canadian Army.
- LL.B. (Dalhousie University, 1970)
- B.A. (Royal Military College, 1963)
- College Militaire Royal, St. Jean, Que. (1958-1961)
- Bar Admission: Nova Scotia 1970
- Appeared in all Courts and major administrative tribunals in Nova Scotia, the Tax Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Canada, as well as numerous appearances before the Supreme Court of Canada
- Practice includes significant experience in assessment appeals, construction disputes, securities litigation, income tax appeals, tax fraud and evasion, expropriation, corporate and business disputes, planning and zoning litigation, and school board arbitration
- Practice includes major multi-party civil litigation, using computerized litigation support systems
Professional Activities and Affiliations
- Member - Nova Scotia Barristers` Society
- Chief Commissioner - Nova Scotia Liquor Commission (1996-2001)
- Director - Colchester-East Hants Education Foundation
- Member - Ontario Expropriation Association
Lectures and Publications
- Contributing author to Coates & Waque, "The New Law of Expropriation", Carswell 1994
- Lecturer Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators, Regional Conference, Ottawa, Ont. 1991
- Regular lecturer on expropriation matters to various interested parties
- Lecturer on the Law of Tender to the annual meeting of the Nova Scotia Union of Municipalities, Legal Section, 1996
- Lecturer, Eastern Regional Conference of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1999
- "Valuation of Special Purpose Industrial Property: Quantifying Economic Obsolescence Using Business Valuation Techniques", co-authored with Brian Keough, CBV, presented at the Eastern Regional Conference of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators, Ottawa, 1991
- Contributing author on expropriation to "The Expert: A Practitioners Guide", Carswell, 1996
- "Valuing Expropriation/Condemnation Claims", International Business Brokers` Association Journal, Spring Summer 1996
- "The Law of Tender in Municipal Construction Projects", September 1991; revised October 1996
- "Professional Discipline - Establishing the Playing Field: The Legislative Framework", February 1996
- "Expropriations: a Legal and Valuation Perspective", Ontario Expropriation Association, Fall 1999, co-authored with Paula D. Frederick, C.A., C.B.V. Published Ontario Expropriation Association Newsletter Fall 1999
- "Anticipated Value in Expropriation Compensation Claims of Resource Properties", The Canadian Appraiser, Winter 2000, reprinted in the Ontario Expropriation Association Newsletter Spring 2002
- "Corporate Governance of Crown Corporations", January, 2000 Refer: www.propertyexpropriation.com
- Lecturer Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators Atlantic Workshop 2002, "Expert Witness Testimony"
- "Selection of Discount Rates in Expropriation Matters", presented at the CICBV Atlantic Workshop, Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators, June 2004